When choosing shutters for your home, there are many factors to consider before making your final decision and purchase. Finding a shutter style and colour that suits your specific interior design vision will always be the priority.
However, you must not ignore the other crucial features, and tilt rods rank very highly on that agenda.
Tilt rods are essentially the material and mechanism that are used to manipulate the angle of your slats.
Therefore, they are an important item in terms of dictating the lighting aspects of any given room. On a separate note, tilt rods are vital for the overall aesthetic of the shutters, which are a stand out feature of any home. As such, knowing that you’ve made the right decision is vital.
Tilt rods can be split into two main categories as they can be either visible or hidden. Here’s all you need to know before making your selection.
Visible Tilt Rods
Visible tilt rods are the type that can be seen by the naked eye, and include a vertically hanging rod that can be turned to set the angle of the slats.
Modern visible tilt rods can be positioned to the left, right or centre of your shutters. This gives you the versatility to find a positioning that suits your needs.
Meanwhile, there are various options on materials and colours, depending on the type of shutters you choose.
This is the more common option of the two, although its market share isn’t as large as it was in previous years.
- Visible tilt rods bring a classic traditional look, which makes them ideal for classic styled shutters. If looking to build a vintage look, or maintain the traditional vibe, visible tilt rods are a great solution.
- Visible tile rods become a part of the unit, standing out to make the shutters an even bigger feature within the room. Given the amount of time and money invested in the product, this can only be a positive.
- Visible tilt rods are easier for guests to use as there is no need for them to search around. This can be an issue for the hidden alternatives. Besides, the fact that everyone has used visible tilt rods before makes life simpler too.
- Visible tilt rods, especially those in the middle, can be visually distracting. They can make it feel as though too much is going on while diverting the eyes away from the lovely shutters themselves. Aesthetically, it can be an issue for grilled windows.
- Visible tilt rods are easily accessed by the kids, and curious youngsters will want to play with them. Their heavy hands can lead to shutter damage. Meanwhile, it could result in minor injuries for the children.
- Visible tilt rods can encounter problems within the mechanism too. A problem with the hinge, tilt rod, or tension system could all result in repair jobs being needed. It’s also another item to clean.
Hidden Tilt Rods
Hidden tilt rods are less conspicuous as they are built into the shutter itself. Instead, the only visible part is seen on the inside of the stile.
The hidden tilt rods have become increasingly popular in recent years due to upgrades in both mechanism and appearance. They can be incorporated into most modern slat ranges, including classic and vogue shutters.
While still not quite as common as the visible ranges, they are selected by thousands of homeowners each year.
- Hidden tilt rods look fantastic in a contemporary home, as they embrace modern mechanisms. This makes them ideal for any homeowner looking to bring their living spaces into the modern day.
- Hidden tilt rods bring a streamlined appeal as there is no rod to cut through the louvres. The hidden option additionally prevents the lines and divides that can be produced by the visible style. It’s one less item to worry about cleaning too.
- Hidden tilt rods are built into the shutter mechanism, meaning there’s no extra pole or rod for children to mess around with this. In turn, this can prevent injuries as well as damage to the shutters themselves.
- Hidden tilt rods can look a little out of place when building a traditional looking home. The mechanism wasn’t available when shutters first came into fashion. So, if you have a vintage style shutter, a hidden rod may seem contradictory.
- Hidden tilt rods can leave some shutter styles looking a little bland. The mechanism can also take some getting used to, which could be a problem if used in guest bedrooms.
- Hidden tilt rods can cost a little more than the standard visible ones. This is because they are a little more complicated and require a little more work. Still, the price increase isn’t overly significant in comparison to the shutters themselves.
Which Is Right For You?
Both visible and hidden tilt rods have individual positives and negatives. Ultimately, your decision will largely be influenced by personal tastes. Nonetheless, it’s important to take those key factors into account.
Anyone in the market for shutters should appreciate the impact that the tilt rods will have on the overall look. Meanwhile, it’s imperative that you understand the potential restrictions.
Hidden tilt rods might not be suited to the type of shutter you’ve picked, even if it is a possibility.
Conversely, when opting for visible options, you must research the possibilities of size and colour. The options are huge, but will vary depending on the type of shutters. This is partly due to the different weights of the slats.
Either way, you should take the time to ask yourself the following questions;
- How will my choice of tilt rods impact my budget?
- Will the tilt rods look good with the shutter?
- Will the tilt rods suit the overall look of the room?
- Is the chosen tilt rod mechanism suitable for the location they will be in?
With those four key questions up your sleeve, finding the best tilt rods for the best shutters should be easy. Your home will feel better than ever in no time!
If you need help deciding, make sure you get in touch with us today for a free consultation and advice.