Bay windows are a classic element of UK architecture, and Victorian bay windows have the ability to make almost any building stand out in the most beautiful way.
This type of window first rose to prominence in the early Renaissance period in the UK. The windows were installed in order to make large rooms look even more spectacular, and because of this, the popularity of the windows continued right through Victorian and Edwardian times.
America also began to adopt this window style; you would often see them in the West during the time of the California Gold Rush. They are still as popular as ever in the modern day, adding a flourish to any property, from modern to period styles of property.
However, one thing many people struggle with is dressing this type of window. Curtains just won’t do for something as fantastic as the bay window!
Here, we will cover everything you need to know to enhance your Victorian Bay windows in Essex and the surroundings while retaining your all important privacy and light control.
Read on to learn more!
Aren’t Bay Windows Too Hard To Cover Up?
Some people have the misconception that bay windows are hard to cover up, but they aren’t when you know how to do it properly.
The trick is not to cover them with heavy curtains – these types of window dressings are impractical and distracting.
Your goal should be dressing without distracting, while keeping privacy and light control in mind. Finding any dressing for unusual shaped windows is just as difficult, so it isn’t just bay windows that will mean you have to consider this.
Always pay attention to the varying inside angle degrees of your bay windows as they vary; they can be anywhere from 90-150 degrees. Being aware of this will help you to dress them in all of their magnificence!
Dressing Your Beautiful Windows The Easy Way
So, how can you go about dressing your beautiful Victorian bay windows the easy way? A way that embraces the shape of your window and enhances all of the benefits?
Bay window shutters are the key to elegant and practical window dressing. Shutters allow you to retain elegance authentic to the period, and offer many benefits on top of this.
Let’s take a look at them listed below:
- Improve Insulation Within Your Home: Having shutters installed especially for your own unique bay windows will help you to keep your home warm during the cold months and save money on your bills. They’ll also help to keep heat out during warmer months, with less need for a fan. Shutters not only look great, they can save you some money while keeping your home the perfect temperature. Although they may be an investment in the beginning, these shutters will eventually pay for themselves.
- Protect Your Privacy: Privacy is always a concern for homeowners. There’s a chance you’ll have people looking into your home if your property is situated on a busy street. You want a solution that allows you to see out, even though others can’t see in. Shutters can help you with this!
- Total Light Control: How annoying is it when you have to close the curtains when watching TV? With shutters, you don’t have to, as you have total light control. The great thing about shutters is that they also help to reduce furniture fade as the sun isn’t shining bright through your windows!
- Reduce Noise: Shutters help to reduce noise coming in, and noise going out. Absolutely no need to worry about whether people outside can hear you singing with the mop, and you won’t need to get annoyed when people decide to have a long conversation outside of your home.
What Types Of Victorian Bay Windows Are Available?
If you’re not sure what kinds of Victorian bay windows are available, it’ll help you to know that there are five main shapes.
Whether you’re installing them into your current home or you’re designing a brand new home from scratch, installing bay windows will add personality and value.
The most popular kinds are as follows:
- The Bow Window: The Bow Window suits any type of property, and first appeared in the 18th century. This style blends really well with regency style architecture, and is very popular in town and country properties. It helps to create more space within the home too!
- The Box Bay Window: This style of window is a protruding box shape. You’ll nearly always have window seats with this style, which makes the perfect reading nook or relaxing space. This style of window was very popular during Victorian times, so is often found on period houses.
- The Circle Bay Window: The Circle Bay Window was popular during the gothic period, and often found on the corners of buildings. The style is still often used in contemporary buildings today and is very stylish.
- Oriel Windows: You will usually find Oriel windows on the upper story of a building. They are decorative and supported by ornate brackets. These are popular in Arabian architecture.
- The Garden Bay Window: The Garden Bay Window looks like a greenhouse and is designed to let in the maximum amount of light possible. It’s just perfect for kitchens, and very popular in the modern homes of today. Large panes of glass are used in construction.
With all of the different types, shapes, and sizes of bay windows available, you can find something to fit in any decor and age.
There’s absolutely no need to introduce curtains, as they are impractical and will usually ruin the look of your bay window.
Shutters help to embrace the unusual shape of a bay window as well as enhance the beauty!
What Should You Know Before Introducing Victorian Bay Window Shutters?
There are a few things you should know before you go running out to buy and install your bay window shutters.
Your shutters absolutely must be made to measure by a reputable company. If they are not, you run the risk of them being completely the wrong size and looking totally out of place to boot.
You need to find a company with great reviews and customer service; a company that will take their time finding out about you, your needs, and your home.
It’s important that the company you decide to work with aims to understand your own personal needs well enough to create the perfect shutters for you.
They should ask you questions in terms of furniture by the bay, light, privacy, and everything else that can have an impact on the overall look.
They will then take the exact measurements to ensure no unwanted light is present in the room.
A company that pays little attention to detail could easily create shutters that totally do the opposite of what you want.
When you have the right shutters in bay, it’s simple for you to place furniture into the bay.
This way, you will have a beautiful, usable area with no ugly curtains whatsoever!
New Builds And Bay Windows
When it comes to bay windows and new builds, the Victorian styles are most popular with new builds.
This allows for extra room space without taking up plot size, so that’s worth considering if you’re thinking about adding a bay window to your home or you’re looking at properties that have bay windows.
Bay windows add ventilation, as well as a new dimension in a room. The best thing you can do is speak to an architect in the design stage if you’re having bay windows fitted, so they get an exact idea of what it is you’d like to do.
Remember; bay windows are not just for lounge areas. With the sheer amount of styles available, they will also look amazing in master bedroom suites, kitchens and bathrooms. You can have them anywhere!
Then, when you have your shutters installed, you have the added benefit of privacy in every room. This is not an issue when you make the smart decision to install shutters.
A Window Dressing Idea With Timeless Appeal
Shutters are truly a window dressing idea that have timeless appeal. If this is what you would like in your home, shutters are an ideal dressing idea for just about any room in your home.
They will help to enhance the natural beauty of your room and you will create a feeling of elegance, with the eyes of your guests drawn straight to the feature when somebody enters the room!
There’s something to suit every taste and style, as there are many styles, colors, and stains available for purchase.
Whether you have a scandi style home or you’re working on a period/vintage look, you will be able to find the shutters that suit you down to the ground.
All that’s left to do once your shutters are installed is enjoy the curb appeal and the plethora of other benefits that Victorian bay window shutters offer you!